If you are reading this article, that means either you are getting a new trailer or an RV. And as expected, you need the best brake pads for towing. Or maybe your existing brake pads are getting old, so you need to buy some.
Effective braking not only makes your driving more pleasant and comfortable, but they are also a critical factor in road safety. Thus the brake pads are an essential element of the brake system of the vehicle. However, we also keep in mind on best brake line flaring tools for Taking every precaution and being safe!
So, in the next few paragraphs, we prepared a complete guide for you, including some of the best brakes for towing. By the end, we will also discuss some tips for getting the best brake pads available.
8 Best Brake Pads for Towing
- 1 8 Best Brake Pads for Towing
- 1.1 01. Bosch BC905 QuietCast- Best Silent Brake Pads
- 1.2 02. Power Stop K6268-36 Z36- Best Premium Quality Brake Pads
- 1.3 03. ACDelco Silver 14D785CH- Best Semi-Metallic Brake Pads for Towing
- 1.4 04. Wagner Qc465a- Most Durable Disc Brake Pad Set
- 1.5 05. Akebono ACT905- Best Rotor Friendly Disc Brake Pad
- 1.6 06. ACDelco Gold 17D785CH- best truck brakes
- 1.7 07. Wagner SX756 SevereDuty- Best Semi-Metallic Brake Pads
- 1.8 08. Brembo P83024N- Best Rear Brake Pads
- 2 What Is A Brake Pad For Towing?
- 3 Buying Guide for the Best Brake Pads for Towing
- 3.1 1. Materials
- 3.2 2. Durability
- 3.3 3. Efficiency
- 3.4 4. Brake calipers
- 3.5 The brake caliper is the shelter for brake pads. Calipers are the main component which helps to make the wheel slow. It is important for the brake calipers to fit. Otherwise, it won’t be able to create friction to slow down.
- 3.6 5. Design with Heavy-duty
- 3.7 6. Temperature
- 4 Difference between Ceramic and Semi-Metallic Brake Pads
- 5 FAQ
- 5.1 1. Are Ceramic Brake Pads Good For Towing?
- 5.2 They sure are. Firstly, they are the most expensive, although they offer a longer duration. Ceramic brakes accept high temperatures without losing braking efficiency. Ceramic brake pads ensure your car’s better performance and protect your life and that of those who accompany you.
- 5.3 2. How Often Should You Change Brake Pads?
- 5.4 3. How Long Do Ceramic Brake Pads Last?
- 5.5 4. How to Clean Your Brake Pads?
- 5.6 5. How Much Should it Cost to Replace Brake Pads?
- 6 Conclusion
Let’s see the list immediately. But know that if you continue reading, you will be able to discover all the characteristics of the best brake pads on the market.
01. Bosch BC905 QuietCast- Best Silent Brake Pads
Everyone knows Bosch, thanks to the huge variety of spare parts for cars and more. The High Carbon technology that Bosch uses guarantees excellent performance and good comfort during the journey. And that is the reason why we started our list with these towing brakes.
As the name suggests, these brake pads are very silent. The coating of the discs permanently protects against corrosion. The Bosch brake pads are well made and are perfect for all driving conditions.
The BC905 model is useful for changing the brake pads of cars belonging to most of the brands. They comply with 2025 Copper Free legislation and guarantee maximum performance and safety. Even in the most extreme conditions, you will feel safe and smooth.
- High-quality material;
- Comes with hardware installation kit;
- Easy to install;
- Maximum safety and smoothest operation;
- QuietCast technology for silence.
- Although it claims to suit a wide range of models, it doesn’t suit some common brands like- Hyundai Sonata and Nissan Altima.
02. Power Stop K6268-36 Z36- Best Premium Quality Brake Pads
Power Stop pads are often the best choice when you don’t know which brand to choose. They are recognized worldwide for their quality at the right price. Like the K6268-36 Z36 model, which are suitable to be mounted on both rear front disc.
They are compatible with most of the brake system and comply with the ECE-R90 standard. It is equivalent to the best known OE. They contain the mandatory requirements for the design, construction, and performance of the type of friction material. Therefore they include the pads too.
These pads can be installed on different vehicles. The assembly, for those who are practical, and takes place in a short time. Thanks also to the presence of everything needed to complete this delicate operation: stainless steel hardware and lubricant for high temp ceramic.
These brake pads have been drilled so precisely that it stays cool when you are operating in the extreme condition. Also, the round shape of these brakes ensures less dust and debris.
- More powerful than ceramic brake pads;
- Very quiet and smooth;
- Maximum rotor cooling capacity;
- Compatible with heavy-duty vehicles;
- Easy installation.
- The packaging could be a little better.
03. ACDelco Silver 14D785CH- Best Semi-Metallic Brake Pads for Towing
There are essentially two reasons for focusing on this kit proposed by ACDelco: the affordable price and the possibility of installing the easily. When it comes to safety, ACDelco Ceramic, Semi-Metallic brake pads are no less. The versatility makes it suitable for almost all kinds of vehicles, even bikes.
Assembly is not complicated at all; of course, it is necessary to have a certain familiarity with this kind of maintenance operation. The performance is satisfactory, given that the pads guarantee excellent braking and a great silence.
This is a brake pad kit sold at a price that does not scare. Moreover, it is of good quality and capable of guaranteeing satisfactory performance. The noise and vibration are significantly reduced due to the quality construction.
- Provides safety and smooth operation;
- Simple and ready-to-install product;
- Noise and vibration reduction;
- Premium quality material;
- Suitable for a wide range of vehicles;
- Being an economical product, the replacement will have to be provided a little earlier than expected.
04. Wagner Qc465a- Most Durable Disc Brake Pad Set
Wagner is famous in customers for ages, and we all know why. Only because of its quality material and its responsibility to the customers. The same goes for this Wagner QC465A model.
You can rest assured that these ceramic brake discs meet the same quality standards as the original equipment discs. For the manufacturer to offer optimal performance, a production process is dedicated to each model of vehicle.
Its laser-shaped frictions guarantee better thermal conductivity. This prevents the brake disc from deforming, swaying sideways, or being eroded by too aggressive pads. With this expedient, you avoid the abnormal consumption of the disc. All these qualities are enough to make it the best brake pads and rotors for towing.
- Superior thermal conductivity;
- Great functionality;
- The hardware kit is included for easy installation;
- Great price-quality ratio.
- A little dusty, to be honest.
05. Akebono ACT905- Best Rotor Friendly Disc Brake Pad
Now, if you are finding the best brake pads for RV towing, look no further. Here is the Akebono ACT905 Disc Brake Pad, which is also the most rotor-friendly brake pads.
Made to meet OE standards, the Akebono ACT905 has all the requirements to be on this list. This ceramic brake pad is compatible with most kinds of vehicles to give you the best experience. The vehicle-optimized friction formula not only reduces noise but also eliminates dusting, vibration and harshness.
When you are thinking of your RV or trailer, you need heavy-duty brake pads for towing. That’s what Akebono ACT905 offers you here. Also, strength and functionality provide a significantly higher wear performance. The construction of these pads is such that they are suitable for most of the wide, open-wheeled vehicles.
- Can tolerate the stress of towing heavy-duty vehicles;
- Maximum temperature conductivity;
- Superior effectiveness from the very first moment;
- Reduced noise, vibration and dusting (way less than OE);
- Well-constructed materials;
- The lubricants they send are not sufficient for 4 pads.
06. ACDelco Gold 17D785CH- best truck brakes
A valid brake pads replacement for buying among the aftermarket products comes from ACDelco. This is a company as famous as Brembo and Bosch for the quality of its products dedicated to cars. In this specific case, it offers a set of brake pads suitable for the rear axle, therefore with the presence of four pads.
This brake pad set is just the right product for providing maximum safety as well as functionality. They are built to reduce corrosion and wear. This is the reason many vehicle owners are moving to this particular set of brake pads.
They are well-compatible with SAE J2784, as expected from ACDelco. Like ACDelco silver, its ceramic pads are equipped with less metal for more braking power. Also, you don’t need to do much to install them as they are ready-to-install.
- Tried and tested successfully to SAE J2784;
- Durable and wear-resistant;
- Premium quality parts that fit perfectly;
- An updated version of previous models of ACDelco;
- Reduces noise and harshness and smooth operation;
- It would be better if the shims were stainless steel instead of a metal sheet.
07. Wagner SX756 SevereDuty- Best Semi-Metallic Brake Pads
Here we are, with another best brake pads for heavy towing from Wagner. As we mentioned before, the best-quality material is Wagner’s no 1 priority.
This time Wagner brings these exclusive brake pads for heavy-duty vehicles usually driven in harsh conditions. They are so tough that they can handle any adverse environmental conditions. The manufacturers tested and validated before bringing them to market. And that ensures maximum safety and operation.
These carbon metallic brake pads for towing run for a longer time without wearing off and costing you more. Also, the OE-style parts can tolerate extreme heat, brakes and obstacles. This is a very important factor when you are towing or hauling heavy vehicles such as RVs.
- Higher durability than same category brake pads;
- Increased tolerance to heat and obstacles;
- Easy installation;
- OE style parts;
- Successfully passed all the standards;
- Although they last longer than ceramic pads but make relatively more dust.
08. Brembo P83024N- Best Rear Brake Pads
When rear brake pads are needed to replace the original ones, the Brembo brand is a favorite of motorists. This model, precisely the one identified with the code P83024N, is intended to be mounted on the rear disc brake.
It is compatible with almost all cars and, as usual, corresponds to the ECE-R90 equivalent OE standard. The high-pressure values make it possible to glue the friction material to the metal support with maximum precision. Among its features stands out the excellent efficiency, even when they reach high operating temperatures.
As usual, when it comes to Brembo brake pads, installation is simple and immediate. Thanks to the presence of the appropriate screws in the package, anyone can do it.
- High heat-conductivity;
- Superior braking power;
- Efficient, even in extreme condition;
- Simple and immediate installation;
- OE standard materials;
- Ware off faster than other models.
What Is A Brake Pad For Towing?
Brake pads are one of the components of brake discs that are used, among other things, in vehicles. It is an absolutely essential car part without which the braking device cannot function properly. It is for this reason that it is important to ensure that they are replaced regularly.
By converting kinetic energy into thermal energy, they allow the vehicle to slow down. In doing so, they can reach temperatures close to 800 ° C. It implies a particularly high resistance to thermal shocks.
Their role requires that the metal they are made of also be subjected to repeated friction. That’s why pads wear out several times over the life of a car. This wear depends on the number of kilometers traveled and on the requirements of the roads traveled in terms of braking. Driving on a motorway obviously does not wear them out as much as driving on small mountain roads!
Buying Guide for the Best Brake Pads for Towing
Before choosing your own car brake pads for towing, you need to keep an eye on some essential elements. Let’s see what they are.
A factor that can make a difference in your choice of brake pads is their construction materials. In principle, there are four types most common in this respect. Here they are.
- The semi-metallic tablets consist of about two-thirds of metal and the remainder of various inorganic materials. They are able to absorb heat in an ideal way. But they tend to wear out quite quickly due to their excessive hardness.
- Steel pads contain a maximum of 30% metal, which is combined with a range of organic substances. They guarantee excellent braking and are characterized by good thermal conductivity. But their average price is quite high.
- Organic pads are generally comprised of glass, carbon and Kevlar, with less than 10% of the metal present. They are extremely quiet and soft, but they wear out too quickly. They are not good when driven with exaggerated vehemence.
The ceramic pads consist of ceramic, non-iron materials and synthetic rubber. Their coefficient of friction is not bad, as is their ability to adapt to an aggressive driving style. However, you have to pay attention to their price.
You cannot neglect the duration of the pads. Pay close attention to the nature of the clutch. It must not be too hard or too soft. In the first case, the brake disc goes into abrasion at a dangerous speed. In the second, keep the actual consumption under control.
Don’t forget the coefficient of friction. If you buy original pads, know that the latter guarantees you excellent performance at a coefficient between 0.3 and 0.5. If, on the other hand, these components are only compatible, you need pads between 0.25 and 0.35 to brake smoothly.
4. Brake calipers
The brake caliper is the shelter for brake pads. Calipers are the main component which helps to make the wheel slow. It is important for the brake calipers to fit. Otherwise, it won’t be able to create friction to slow down.
5. Design with Heavy-duty
If you are buying brake pads for towing, that means you will be hauling RVs or Trailers. They are very large and heavy-duty vehicles. So before buying, make sure that the brake pads are suitable for a heavy-duty vehicle.
Last but not least, a fact to consider concerns the operating temperature. In general, you should choose models that can operate best between 300 and 350 degrees if you want an agile and snappy car for urban driving. For sporty driving, beware of specimens reaching a maximum of 900 degrees, as their braking could be risky.
Difference between Ceramic and Semi-Metallic Brake Pads
Among the available types of brake pads, Ceramic and Semi-metallic pads are well-known and well-used. But people confuse between them very often.
To help you understand the differences, we will consider describing the ceramic vs. semi-metallic brake pads towing:
1. Ceramic Brake Pads
Ceramic is one of the most popular options today, with a brake pillar. Almost half of the vehicles use ceramic coatings as original equipment, and there are also aftermarket ceramic brake pads. These brake pads are not made of steel wool for heat management but of ceramic, copper or other metal fibers.
Half-metal brake latches tend to make steel noise and wear rotors. It collects a lot of dust, which affects wheel performance. The ceramic materials and copper composite coating reduce noise and do not damage rotors. Also, it produces almost less dust.
In addition, they have more stable friction than semi-metallic cushions. These materials are used for high-performance automobile rotors.
2. Semi-metallic Brake Pads
Metal coatings are made from a high-percentage of powdered metal that forms in blocks under heat and pressure. They are used in heavy vehicles. These materials made of iron, copper, steel and graphite are mixed and joined to form a tablet.
Semi-metal coatings are combined by a process called sintering to form a molten powder. They offer a good balance of performance and durability. They are also very effective for high-temperature applications.
Semi-metallic coatings typically use up to 50% high-quality metals. Steel fibers are used in large quantities in addition to copper, copper alloys, as well as tin and zinc.
Here is a comparative table for your better understanding:
CERAMIC BRAKE PAD
|SEMI-METALLIC BRAKE PADS|
|Lining material||Ceramic and copper or other metals.||
50% high-quality metals (copper, copper alloys, as well as tin and zinc).
||<p “=”” 1.=”” excellent=”” resistance=”” to=”” brake=”” reduction=”” pp=””>2. Improved braking performance in the most extreme conditions and temperatures|
|Noise and dust||
1. Are Ceramic Brake Pads Good For Towing?
They sure are. Firstly, they are the most expensive, although they offer a longer duration. Ceramic brakes accept high temperatures without losing braking efficiency. Ceramic brake pads ensure your car’s better performance and protect your life and that of those who accompany you.
2. How Often Should You Change Brake Pads?
Brake pads should be changed when worn. There are several methods to understand this, but the most classic is a warning (warning light or message). The warning is activated on the display of your dashboard that it is time to go to a mechanic.
The second warning is acoustic, i.e., you hear a shrill noise every time you brake. This is often integrated into more modern brake pads.
3. How Long Do Ceramic Brake Pads Last?
Undoubtedly, ceramic brake pads last longer than contemporary pads. The durability depends on the usage, braking amount and the condition. Usually, the limit is from 30000 to 70000 miles.
4. How to Clean Your Brake Pads?
The best way to clean brake pads is with alcohol pads. For example, Isopropyl Alcohol does a great job cleaning the pads. And we recommend using gloves while cleaning rather than with bare hands.
5. How Much Should it Cost to Replace Brake Pads?
If bought by them, the brake pads have a relatively low cost, ranging over 100 dollars for a kit (i.e., four pads).
If, on the other hand, you go to a mechanic, you will also need to calculate the labor, and therefore the cost will rise. On average, relying on a mechanic to change pads is around 70-300 dollars.
If you have a high-performance car and you love off-roading, then we recommend you to read our following blog:
We have come to the end of our guide to the best brake pads for towing. Before closing, we recommend you researching a little bit before buying the best type of brake pads for towing. Because every brake pads have different characteristics and benefits. It is wise to invest money and time into this as this is a matter of life and safety.